Before every fight, professional Muay Thai fighters need to preparing themselves with intense training. They need to spend hours of conditioning both minds and bodies to win fights that need agility, speed, strength, balance, timing and vision. Here is the 24 hour preparation routine designed for a professional Muay Thai fighter. This routine is not the same in every camps but will give you the idea on how the fighter trains in daily basis.
05.00 – 05.30
05.30 – 07.00
Running 8-10 kilometers
– Running for fight preparation is different from marathon. Marathon needs a steady pace while running for fight preparation alternately needs speed burst for a short period then reduce to a long normal speed.
07.00 – 11.00
– Shadow boxing 10-15 minutes
– Heavy bag training left and right 200 times
– Kicking pad 7 rounds (5 minutes per round)
– Kicking bag 200 times
– Clinching with trainer 30-40 minutes
– Weight training 6 rounds
– Sit ups 300-500 times
– Round kick 100 times
– 500 meters burst running 7 rounds
11.00 – 12.00
Shower and Breakfast
– For normal meal, fighter’s diet contains all nutrients with supplements which are 2 boxes of milk, 2 cups of chicken broth, 2 raw eggs in Sprite (the fizzy drinks).
– However, the fighter needs to be very strict with what he’s eating to reduce the weight before the fight. Some fighters have to stop eating if they still overweight. They allow to chew rice but not allow to swallow.
–On the fight day, normally the weight-in time is 08.30 – 12.00. Every fighters will do everything they can to pass the weight-in, so they even get naked in front of hundreds people to reduce the weight to as minimum as possible. Unluckily, some fighters are disqualified even doing some sweaty exercises right before the weight in.
12.00 – 15.30
15.30 – 16.00
16.00 – 19.00
– Almost exactly the same as morning session but every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, the fighter needs to sparring with trainer for 5 rounds before starting the evening session.
19.00 – 19.30
Shower and Dinner
19.30 – 21.00
– Fighters allow to go outside of the camp
Back to the camp
– Every fighters needs to be very strict with the returning time. It shows respect and responsibility of the fighter to the camp owner and trainer. However, if any fighters break the rules, at first they will get a warning then they will get heavier punishment such as physically harm or banned from fighting for a long period of time.
22.00 – 05.30
– Sexual activities are prohibited in some camps when the fight day comes closer. At strict camps, the fighters must not have any sexual activities for at least 1 week, but mostly they are not allowed only for 1-2 days.
Inspired from a day magazine